As you eat, talk, and smile with your reliable denture, it is very important that you clean it as often as possible. If you clean it and take good care of it, it will remain in tip-top shape for many years to come. So, to help you clean your denture, we recommend doing the following things:
· Rinse the denture after eating: Food tends to cling to your denture, which is why we strongly recommend rinsing your appliance with water after you eat something, even if it’s just a snack. Rinsing will wash away the loose particles that can damage the appliance. Please remember to handle your appliance carefully. If you drop it, it could break.
· Clean your mouth: If you have a clean mouth, you will have a clean denture. So, clean your mouth every night with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. If you don’t have natural teeth remaining, skip the soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste and clean your gums, tongue, cheeks, and palate with a soft toothbrush or with a gauze pad.
· Brush your denture daily: It is very important to brush your denture each day, just like you would with your natural teeth. Brush the appliance with a soft-bristled toothbrush and nonabrasive toothpaste.
· Soak the denture: When the denture is out of your mouth, soak it in mild denture cleaner or water. This will keep it moist so it maintains its shape and condition.
· Visit your dentist: Visit the dentist every six months for a routine cleaning. This will allow our dental team to professionally clean your denture and eliminate the plaque that is living on it. This will help you keep a clean denture as well as a strong oral health.
For more cleaning tips, please call Mark L. Pitel, DMD, PC today by dialing 845-454-0790! We also recommend calling and scheduling an appointment with Dr. Mark L. Pitel if you are due for a dental cleaning and exam. Our dental team cares for you and your smile, and we are here to help you in every way possible, even if it’s just by answering your questions. We look forward to talking with you!