Your team of spooktacular cavity busters at Mark L. Pitel, DMD, PC, wants you to have a safe and happy Halloween. Enjoy the sights and scares of a frightful fall, but don’t fall for the tricks that get could turn your mouth into a living nightmare.Here are six tricks for treating your mouth this Halloween, and beyond:
– Try to indulge in healthy treats. Your sweet tooth need not be limited only to sugary snacks this season.
– If you have children, swap out their candy for toys they may have been interested in, as a way for them to enjoy the joys of trick-or-treating, but also to stop them from eating buckets of candy afterward. You could also offer a buyback program to the child, and offer the child money, or incentives, in exchange for their candy.
– Be sure to remember that the longer candy is in contact with your teeth, the longer tooth decay can occur. As always, be sure to brush and floss.
– Visit your dentist for an oral exam and professional cleaning.
– Avoid hard candy, which can chip teeth, and is difficult to brush away, or sticky candy, which can stick to the teeth’s enamel, and speed up the rate of tooth decay.
– Dispose of any extra candy lying around after the holiday, as you may find yourself eating it for weeks afterward.
For more tips and tricks to improve your smile and oral health, please call us to at 845-454-0790, or stop by our office in Poughkeepsie, New York. We look forward to seeing you smile!